Changes to School Novell Servers
Over the summer, we will be replacing the Novell servers at our schools with Microsoft servers. This will include servers that staff and students login to and store files on when using computers and laptops in schools. Microsoft servers use Active Directory to store user account information.
In order to facilitate this change, there are a few things we will need school administration, teachers, and staff to do before summer.
|A.G. Baillie Memorial||COMPLETED|
|Amherst Regional High||COMPLETED|
|Bible Hill Consolidated||COMPLETED|
|Bible Hill Junior High||COMPLETED|
|Central Colchester Junior High||COMPLETED|
|Cobequid Consolidated Elementary||COMPLETED|
|Cobequid District Elementary||COMPLETED|
|Cobequid Educational Centre||COMPLETED|
|Cumberland North Academy||COMPLETED|
|Cyrus Eaton Elementary||COMPLETED|
|Dr. W.A. MacLeod Consolidated||COMPLETED|
|E.B. Chandler Junior High||COMPLETED|
|East Pictou Middle||COMPLETED|
|Elmsdale District Elementary||COMPLETED|
|Enfield District Elementary||COMPLETED|
|F.H. MacDonald Elementary||COMPLETED|
|G.R. Saunders Elementary||COMPLETED|
|Great Village Elementary||COMPLETED|
|Hants East Rural High||COMPLETED|
|Hants North Rural High||COMPLETED|
|Harmony Heights Elementary||COMPLETED|
|Junction Road Elementary||COMPLETED|
|Kennetcook District Elementary||COMPLETED|
|Maple Ridge Elementary||COMPLETED|
|McCulloch Education Centre||COMPLETED|
|New Glasgow Academy||COMPLETED|
|North Nova Education Centre||COMPLETED|
|North River Elementary||COMPLETED|
|Northport Consolidated Elementary||COMPLETED|
|Northumberland Regional High||COMPLETED|
|Oxford Regional Education Centre||COMPLETED|
|Parrsboro Regional Elementary||COMPLETED|
|Parrsboro Regional High||COMPLETED|
|Pugwash District High||COMPLETED|
|Rawdon District Elementary||COMPLETED|
|River Hebert District School||COMPLETED|
|Riverside Education Centre||COMPLETED|
|Salt Springs Elementary School||COMPLETED|
|Shubenacadie District Elementary||COMPLETED|
|South Colchester Academy||COMPLETED|
|Spring Street Academy||COMPLETED|
|Springhill Junior-Senior High||COMPLETED|
|Tatamagouche Regional Academy||COMPLETED|
|Thorburn Consolidated School||COMPLETED|
|Trenton Middle School||COMPLETED|
|Truro Junior High||COMPLETED|
|Upper Stewiacke Elementary||COMPLETED|
|Walter Duggan Consolidated||COMPLETED|
|West Colchester Consolidated||COMPLETED|
|West End Memorial||COMPLETED|
|West Highlands School||COMPLETED|
|West Pictou Consolidated||COMPLETED|
|Winding River Consolidated||COMPLETED|
What staff need to do before the end of June 29th
All administration, teacher and student desktops, laptops, netbooks and Windows tablets must be left at the school over the summer. This will allow IT staff time to perform the necessary updates. It would be very helpful to have teacher laptops left in a secure location for IT staff to access.
If access to a CCRCE computer over the summer is essential, please contact your principal to make arrangements.
- If the principal deems it necessary for devices to leave the building, arrangements can be made with IT staff to ensure that the device gets updated
Please save files that you wish to keep on Google Drive or the server (H: drive). Files that are located on local computer hard drives (C: drive and D: drive) may be deleted during updates and imaging over the summer. Please have online requests for technology support submitted if you need assistance with this and IT staff will help.
If desktops, laptops, netbooks and Windows tablets are not accessible over the summer for updates, you may not be able to login to the network when you return in September until the devices can be upgraded.
It would be helpful if staff could move data that takes up a lot of space and items that are not used frequently to GNSPES (Google Drive).
What to expect in September?
- Computers will be upgraded to Windows 10
- Staff will login to the computers with your Outlook username and password
- Students will login to the computers with their GNSPES username and password
- Students with active GNSPES accounts must synchronize their password with Active Directory so they only have one account to remember. For further instructions on how to do this, click here.
- Student GNSPES account passwords must have 8 characters and include 3 character types (upper case, lower case, numerical, special) in order to sync with Active Directory. Some students may have to change their password.
- GNSPES accounts can be reset for the younger students to complete the sync with Active Directory
- Some outdated hardware, software applications and peripherals may no longer be supported
- Please have online requests for technology support submitted and IT staff will assist in finding solutions
- Handin and Handout folders will no longer be available
GNSPES (Google Classroom and Google Drive) is available for sharing files with students
- Home folders will be available for students on CCRCE servers
- Home folders and shared folders will be available for staff on CCRCE servers. Existing data will be migrated to Microsoft servers.
- We ask that you use GNSPES (http://gnspes.ca) for storing data that takes up a lot of space and for archiving items that are not used frequently.
- A list of applications on the base Windows 10 build is located at https://docs.google.com/a/gnspes.ca/spreadsheets/d/1MISN6PyGCiLmUBCh-oq1C2fdCNbFj0GmzzbQgPlF5JI/edit?usp=sharing (must login with your GNSPES account).
Why are we updating software to Windows 10?
In order to support the current software and hardware solutions for our teachers and students we will need to update our technology. Many of the resources we use, such as Google Apps for Education, are online and to remain compatible with our software we need to update our internet browsers frequently. This upgrade will allow a more effective method to keep our computers compatible. This upgrade will also allow us to maintain secure networks and keep our technology up and running so that online resources can be available to staff and students.
What changes do I need to know that will occur in September?
- All school computers will be updated to Windows 10
- Staff and students will login to Microsoft Servers instead of Novell.
- The login screen will be different. Staff will use their Outlook usernames and passwords, students will login to computers with the GNSPES usernames and passwords,
- There will be some outdated software and hardware that may no longer be supported
a. IT can help you find a solution to this
- Handin and Handout folders will no longer be available
a. GNSPES (Google Classroom and Google Drive) is available for sharing files.
- Student GNSPES account passwords must have 8 characters and include three character types (e.g. upper case, lower case, number, and a special character) in order to sync with Active Directory. There will be student account passwords that will need to be changed.
My H: drive and Shared Drives are not accessible from outside the school network. How can I get access to them while not at the school?
Due to changes in how files are being stored on some CCRCE servers the CCRCE VPN is required to be able to access your H: drive and Shared Drive files while you are outside of a CCRCE network.At this time Central Office and Family Office based users do not need to use the VPN to access their files. The VPN configuration is currently being pushed out to all CCRCE laptops and mobile devices running Windows 10. Information on how to connect the CCRCE VPN can be found here.
What do I do if I have issues when I return in August/September?
There will be bugs to work out after updates have been completed. Please continue to use online requests for technology support submitted for any issues and IT staff will assist you.